expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Wednesday 25 April 2012

Our new gym buddy!

We’ve been doing well keeping up with our training, making sure we’re covering at least ten miles every other day and our 30 mile training rides every other weekend.


Even though the blossom has bloomed, the nights are still not as long as we’d like to take our training totally outside – plus it’s also necessary to work out with weights to strengthen our muscles and core. When we haven’t made it outside we’ve been in the gym.


After our first month of visiting the gym, we found a new friend tucked away in the circuit room of the YMCA – Expresso Experience machines. These are totally awesome as it’s a bit like a computer game where you can see where you ride:



You even move the handles and gears.


Obviously it’s not as good as the real thing – but there’s no traffic lights to stop for, which means you can keep you heart beat up and you can choose great routes with lots of hills! You can create a log- in and race against yourself etc, but I’m happy setting the pacer to my last ride and beating that.


Last night I moved up to the challenging routes, and it took me 40 minutes to ride 8 miles! It was such amazing workout, but I was literally dripping afterwards.


I’m starting to realise that during all my previous visits to the gym before starting this challenge, I wasn’t really properly working out - sitting on a bike while watching the TV and hardly breaking a sweat.


Well I sure am sweating now! We are both going to have to start taking a towel with us when training; I had to go to a pilates class afterwards looking like I had wet myself. Not pretty.


Double thumbs up for Expresso!



We will be cycling the Pacific Coast Highway from Vancouver to Tijuana over six weeks starting in August 2012 to raise money for Leukaemia & Lymphoma Research. Please show your support by sponsoring us here, leaving a comment and sharing our blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment